The original circuit of the Francorchamps racetrack, designed by Jules de Their and Henri Langlois Van Ophem, was 15 kilometers long and laid down in the form of a triangle connecting Francorchamps, Malmedy and Stavelot. In 1925, the Belgian Grand Prix took place here for the first time.

Even in those days the design incorporated a very fast and quick circuit, and the various changes in the course that have been made over the years confirm that original intention. For example the old uphill U-turn at the bottom of the “Eau Rouge” valley, the curve called “Ancienne Douane,” was shortened to give a faster sweep straight up the hill called the “Raidillon.” This Eau Rouge is still the most famous curve on the whole of the circuit.

The course was changed several times in the past, and is now down to 7004 meters long. It is still a very fast and hilly circuit that incorporates all the characteristics that the world’s best racing drivers of all categories appreciate – and one on which the racing cars are still able to exceed the 300-km/h mark.

Between October 2006 and May 2007 the racetrack was modernized. Among other things, this includes: the building of the new F1-Tribune to FIA standards, the extension of the F1-start straight, the widening of the track between the new chicane and the exit from the hairpin curve “Source,” the construction of a run-off area at the “Source” curve, the modification of the chicane and the building of additional grandstands.

On the Spa Francorchamps track, each year the Belgian F1 Grand Prix and the 24 hours of Spa races take place. Besides these, however, many other national and international competitions are also held.

Contact details

Share this file